Friday, January 06, 2006

Been about a year....

Last year, about this same time, I took my mother-in-law for what I thought was a routine colonoscopy. Turns out it was not so routine- she was diagnosed with colon cancer. The Doom and Gloom team (as I so affectionately call my husbands family) was in rare form...my husband was ready to go shopping for a headstone and coffin, my sister-in-law was positive she was going to have to pack up and move back to Texas to take care of her extremely ill mother, and my mother-in-law was sure she was going to be walking around with a colostomy bag and no hair. Me (the only voice of reason) told them all they were going waaaaay overboard!

Turns out my mother-in-law only had part of her colon removed (did you know you have 6 feet of colon) so no colostomy bag, she took an oral chemotherapy with the biggest side effect being extremely dry skin, and she took care of her older sister after she had heart bypass surgery. I really wanted to say, "See, see...she was fine! No one listens to me!"

The reason I bring this whole story up is this morning, I took my mother-in-law for her annual colonoscopy. Doom and Gloom mother-in-law was sure she had cancer again-I think she has been worrying herself into symptoms. Her worrying was about to send me over the edge, I have no patience for pity (one of my many short comings.) Well, long story short....she is fine, no sign of a tumor not even a little polyp. Going through all of this I wonder, once you have had cancer do you every stop worrying it's going to come back?

4 Comments:

Blogger Running2Ks said...

Thank goodness she is ok! Stress isn't good for the health, but I am glad she's doing ok!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Glad she is ok.
I think if you ever get cancer or live through someone close to you having it that you always have the fear in the back of your mind..

3:32 PM  
Blogger The MAN Fan Club said...

Worrying is so bad for people. Your role in life may to always look at the bright side of life.....

6 feet does seem like a lot.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm very muchlike my mom-don't worry about it until it's right there in front of you, it takes up too much time and energy.

I thought she should get a half price colonoscopy because she only has half a colon...her doctor laughed but didn't agree.

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home